Recipe: Julia Child’s Stuffed Mushrooms (Champignons Farci)
- 12 large mushrooms
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 cup grated swiss cheese
- Remove the stems and reserve.
- Wash and dry the caps and bush with melted butter.
- Arrange hollow side up in a baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and dry the stems.
- By handfuls twist in a corner of a clean towel to extract as much juice as possible.
- Sauté with the scallions in butter for 4 or 5 minutes until the pieces separate.
- Lower the heat and add the flour. Stir for a minute or two until thickened.
- Stir in the cream and cook until thickened.
- Stir in the parsley and seasonings.
- Fill the mushroom caps and top each with 1 tsp of cheese and dribble on any remaining butter.
- Fifteen minutes before serving preheat the oven to 375°F Bake in the upper third of the oven until lightly browned on top.