Recipe: Macaroni Grill’s Penne Rustica
Summary: The sauce is the key to this recipe….HEAVY CREAM, PARMESAN CHEESE, WINE, etc. with CHICKEN & SHRIMP
For gratinata sauce :
- 2 Tbls butter
- 2 Tbls chopped garlic
- 1 Tbls Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- 1 cup marsala wine
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 cups heavy cream
For penne rustica
- 1 oz pancetta or bacon
- 18 shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 12 oz grilled chicken breast, sliced
- 4 ½ cups Gratinata Sauce, from the above
- 48 oz pre cooked penne pasta
- 3 Tbls pimentos
- 6 oz butter
- 1 Tbls chopped shallots
- 1 pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp paprika
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
For the Gratinata Sauce:
- Sauté butter, garlic, and rosemary until garlic begins to brown. Add marsala wine and reduce by one-third. Add remaining ingredients and reduce by half of original volume. Set aside.
For the Penne Rustica:
- Sauté pancetta until it begins to brown.
- Add butter, shallots, and shrimp.
- Cook until shrimp are evenly pink but still translucent. Add chicken, salt, pepper, and mix thoroughly.
- Add Gratinata Sauce and ½ cup of parmesan cheese and simmer until sauce thickens.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp and chicken mixture with pre cooked pasta. Place this mixture into single serving dishes or one large casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese and pimentos and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 475°F for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs.
Recipe adapted from and photo courtesy of: Sacto-News