Recipe: Armadillo Eggs
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 6 medium-sized jalapeños
- 2 pounds breakfast sausage or any other spicy uncooked sausage, removed from its casing
- Preheat the oven to 375 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, cilantro and cumin until well blended. Taste and add salt, and adjust seasonings.
- Remove the stems from the jalapeños and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and then cut the sliced jalapeños in half, horizontally.
- Place about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in each jalapeño quarter. Take about 1/3 cup of the sausage and pat it into a 3-inch circle and place the stuffed jalapeño in the center of the sausage. Wrap the sausage around the stuffed jalapeño until it’s completely covered, and form into an egg shape.
- Place sausage-wrapped jalapeños on the sheet, about an inch apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked. For additional browning on top, you can place the sheet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes.
- Serve with buttermilk dressing, queso or salsa.
Number of servings (yield): 20
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Homesicktexan.