Recipe: Bonanza Bean Dip
Summary: You’ll get extra points with this bean dip. Lime- and jalapeno-spiced guacamole adds a kick to layers of refried beans, cheese, tomatoes and onions. Serve seasoned tortilla chips on the side.
- 1 16 – ounce can refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 recipe Lime Guacamole, below
- 4 ounces cojita cheese, crumbled (1 cup) or 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8 – ounce carton dairy sour cream
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 2 1/4 – ounce can sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Green onion tops (optional)
- Tortilla or Corn Chips
- Lime Wedges
- In bowl combine beans and cayenne. In one half of bottom of 2-quart rectangular baking dish spread bean mixture in even layer. Spoon Lime Guacamole in other half, spreading evenly. Sprinkle both with cojita cheese. Spread sour cream over all. Cover; chill up to 24 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle tomatoes, well-drained olives, and onions over sour cream. Sprinkle cheese over tomatoes. Sprinkle onion tops. Pass lime wedges. Makes 8 to 10 (1/2 cup) servings.
Lime Guacamole ingredients:
4 avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely mashed
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic (6 cloves)
1 teaspoon shredded lime peel
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
In bowl combine avocados, tomato, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime peel, lime juice, salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Photo and recipe adapted from Midwest Living