Recipe: Moroccan Chicken Stew
Summary: Combine spices with raisins and apricots to season this slow-cooker chicken stew. Serve on couscous and topped with toasted pine nuts and fresh cilantro.
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 pounds meaty chicken pieces (breast halves, thighs, and drumsticks), skinned
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1 14 – ounce can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Hot cooked couscous
- Pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker place carrots and onions. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add to cooker; top chicken with raisins and apricots. In bowl whisk broth, tomato paste, flour, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Add to cooker. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 6-1/2 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Serve in bowls with couscous. Sprinkle with nuts. Garnish with cilantro. Serves 4.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Photo and recipe adapted from Midwest Living