Summary: This fast-and-easy Croatian shrimp recipe or škampi na buzara is an example of the rich seafood offerings along the Dalmatian coast that are influenced by neighboring Italy. Meals often begin with pasta or risotto, and then it’s on to fresh fish and seafood.
- 3 pounds washed head-on large shrimp or 1 1/2 pounds tail-on large shrimp
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 (14-ounce) can peeled tomatoes, broken up
- 1 teaspoon Vegeta (Vegtable powder)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet and fry the breadcrumbs until they just start to toast. Add garlic, parsley, tomatoes and Vegeta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add wine, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce the heat and cover. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until shrimp are cooked and juices have thickened.
- Serve with polenta, cornbread or crusty bread.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Croatian Shrimp Stew
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: EastEuropeanfood.com