Recipe: Spinach Manicotti with Ham
Summary: Everyone raves when I serve this. It’s like something you’d find at a fine Italian restaurant, but can quickly cook at home instead. It’s great with salad and bread.
- 12 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (breadfast hamsteak or leftover ham)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. For sauce, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic, pepper, salt and nutmeg until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a large bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, spinach and oregano. Stir in ham; add 1/2 cup sauce. Drain manicotti; stuff with ham mixture. Spread 1/2 cup sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with stuffed manicotti. Pour remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer or until golden brown.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: TasteofHome.com