Recipe: Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Summary: Here’s the recipe for the decadent Loaded Baked Potato Soup just in case you have a hankering.
- 1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
- Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
- Cooks’ notes: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. To make bacon easier to chop, lightly freeze.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Disney Parks