Recipe: Sloppy Joes or Hamburger Helper
Summary: Soft buns work best with these classic kid-friendly sandwiches. Serve them with pickles or potato chips. The beef mixture can also be served over Mac & Cheese.. BAM Hamburger Helper!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add ground beef to skillet. Cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until it is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir tomato sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into beef mixture in skillet. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Season the mixture with more salt and pepper, as desired. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
PS: I put this recipe in because one day I thought I had a can of Manwich and I didn’t so if your in a pinch this will work just fine and seriously you’ll never need to buy Hamburger Helper again!! Now if you make extra and serve with Mac & Cheese combine to make your own Hamburger Helper Dinner add a can of chili beans for leftovers that will get rave reviews!
Recipe adapted from MarthaStewart.com