Recipe: Orange Meringue Pie
Summary: Looking for something different for your guests this year, try this scrumptious Orange Meringue Pie !
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 5 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 chilled butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1egg yolk
- 1 – 2 tbsp chilled water
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar, extra
- Whisk orange juice, orange zest, sugar, cream and egg in a bowl and cover. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to develop the flavors.
- Meanwhile, process flour, butter and icing sugar mixture in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk. Process with enough water to just bring the mixture together. Wrap in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 4mm-thick disc. Line a round 3cm-deep, 23cm/9 inch fluted tart tin, with removable base (or springform pan), with pastry. Trim, allowing 2cm to overhang. Press pastry into the flutes. Cover with parchment paper and fill with pastry weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and pastry weights. Bake for 8 minutes or until base is light golden. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a serrated knife to trim excess pastry. Use a pastry brush to remove any crumbs. Place the tin on a baking tray.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160ºC. Pour orange mixture into the pie shell. Bake for 40 minutes or until just set. Set aside to cool then place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Set oven temperature to 180ºC. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites in a large clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the extra sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until thick and glossy.
- Spoon meringue over pie. Use the back of a spoon to create peaks. Bake for 8 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool completely.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 8 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Compleatcook.ca