Recipe: One Pot Chicken with Braised Vegetables
- 1.5-1.9kg chicken
- 25g butter
- 175g bacon or pancetta, cut into cubes
- 500g potatoes, washed (peeled if you can be bothered, I didn’t)
- 6 shallots or small onions, peeled
- ½ bottle white wine
- 250g peas, frozen is fine
Lemon, Parsley and Parmesan Sauce (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Pre-heat oven to 430F.
- Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a casserole dish with a lid until sizzling, then take 10 mins to brown the chicken on all sides. Remove the chicken from the dish and set aside.
- Still using the casserole dish, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, allow to cool, then crumble. Add the potatoes, shallots, and crumbled bacon to the dish. Cook until the potatoes just start to brown. Nestle the chicken among the vegetables, pour your wine over everything. Place the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven for an hour (a bit more or less depending on the size of your dish).
- To make the lemon, parsley and parmesan sauce, combine all ingredients in a bowl, season to taste.
- After an hour, remove the chicken onto a big serving tray and place the pan back on the heat. Stir the peas into the buttery juices with the other veggies. Simmer until the peas are cooked through. Remove the potatoes, peas and shallots with a slotted spoon to the serving tray with the chicken. Spoon some of the cooking juices over everything then drizzle the lemon, parsley and parmesan sauce over the chicken.
Recipe adapted from: Simple Provisions