Recipe: Luscious Lemon Bars
Summary: Anyone who loves lemon chess pie will enjoy these bite-size bars from Palmer’s Deli & Market in Urbandale, Iowa. The moist bars are topped with powdered sugar.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 5 slightly beaten eggs
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Sifted powdered sugar
- For crust: In mixing bowl, combine the 2-1/2 cups flour and 3 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Press into the bottom of a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- For filling: In medium mixing bowl, stir together eggs, the 2-1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup flour, lemon peel, lemon juice, and baking powder until combined.
- Pour filling over the hot crust. Bake bars in a 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes more or until lightly browned around the edges and the center is set.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cover; store in refrigerator. Makes 48 bars.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 48+
Recipe adapted from: MidwestLiving.com