Recipe: Crispy Garlic Ginger Chicken
Summary: Better than take-out because it’s fresh, hot and crunchy right from your kitchen.
- 2 chicken breast halves – slice into bite-size strips or cubes
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine or extra dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt beaten with 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons dried chili flakes (optional)
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic – sliced
- 2- inch piece of ginger – peeled and sliced into thin matchstick size pieces sliced on the diagonal.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 or 3 scallions (green onions), white and green part thinly
- Marinate the chicken with rice wine (or dry sherry), soy sauce and salt for 30 minutes. Beat egg white and cornstarch together until blended and add to the chicken & marinade. Stir to blend and coat chicken pieces completely.
- In a wok or deep sided frying pan heat enough oil to deep fry the chicken pieces. Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan, drain well and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the the oil from the pan. Over medium heat stir fry garlic, ginger (and chili flakes if you are using them) for a moment until fragrant. Quickly add chicken to pan, stir gently to coat; add soy sauce, sugar and salt to taste. Stir to combine. Remove from pan and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and diagonally sliced scallions/green onions if desired. Serve hot, with steamed rice.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2