This was one of Grandma’s holiday pies. we loved it! This pie was so scrumpdiliicious, and was a hit. BEST coconut pie EVER!! My daughter and I both love coconut cream pie
Grandmas Coconut Custard Pie
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 unbaked 8 or 9 inch pie shell
- nutmeg, optional
- Soak coconut in milk for several hours to make coconut very moist. Set in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Stir together sugar, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the 2 whole eggs plus the additional egg yolk slightly. Add coconut/milk mixture and vanilla to these eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients with milk mixture. Mix well. Add butter. Mix.
- Beat remaining egg white until frothy. Brush this on unbaked pie shell. (This keeps the pie crust from becoming soggy.) Then carefully pour custard into unbaked pie shell. If you like shake a bit of nutmeg on top of custard. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
If you like you can cover edges of pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent them from becoming too dark.
Recipe and Photo: JustaPinch.com