Recipe: Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna
Summary: Eggplant Parmesan Lasagna with layers of wonderful flavor!
- 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 eggplant (about 1 lb), sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 jar (26 oz) cabernet marinara sauce
- 6 uncooked whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 log (3.5 oz) soft goat cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with 1/2 teaspoon oil; spread eggplant in a single layer on baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven; pull up foil and seal edges to close. Let stand 15 minutes to allow eggplant to steam until tender.
- Meanwhile, rub an 8-inch square baking dish with remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. Combine marinara with 1/2 cup water. Spread 1/2 cup sauce mixture in baking dish. Place 2 noodles on top of sauce. You’ll need to break noodles to fit and form three rows, but don’t worry about making perfect pieces. Break off a third of each noodle to form the extra row.
- Combine ricotta, goat cheese, 3 tablespoons basil, and pepper flakes. Dollop half of cheese mixture onto noodles, spreading carefully to cover. Top with half of eggplant slices and 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Repeat layers, beginning and ending with noodles each time.
- Top noodles with remaining sauce mixture, spreading to cover edges. Cover baking dish with foil and bake at 450°F for 45 minutes or until noodles are tender and mixture is bubbly.
- Uncover and top with Parmesan cheese and remaining basil; continue cooking 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe courtesy of: WomensHealthmag.com
Photo courtesy of: ROMULO YANES
Per serving: 438 cal, 15 g fat (7.7 g sat), 54 g carbs, 784 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 23 g protein