Recipe: Pineapple-Coconut Tapioca
Summary: Small pearl tapioca combined with coconut milk and fresh pineapple makes a simple tropics-inspired treat. The key to success is using small pearl tapioca, not instant or minute tapioca. Fresh mango or papaya works equally well as a substitute for the fresh pineapple.
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup regular small pearl tapioca
- 2 (13.5-ounce) cans light coconut milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
- Coat a 4-quart electric slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine sugar, tapioca, and coconut milk in slow cooker, stirring with a whisk. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours or until most of tapioca is transparent. (Pudding will be thin.)
- Place egg in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Add 1/2 cup hot tapioca mixture to egg, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir egg mixture into remaining tapioca mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes. Turn off slow cooker. Stir pineapple into tapioca mixture; cover and let stand 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled. Top each serving with toasted coconut.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup tapioca and about 1 tablespoon coconut)
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: MyRecipes.com