Recipe: Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler Cake
Summary: So here’s the thing. I love strawberry-rhubarb pie; but sometimes I’m fairly lazy. It’s not that I don’t love making pies and pastry, but if I can get the gist of a strawberry-rhubarb pie in a less finicky format, like a crisp, cobbler or cake, why not? Because really, half the reason for making strawberry-rhubarb pie is so that you can put vanilla ice cream on top of it, and this is as adequate a vehicle as any.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 cups halved or quartered strawberries (depending on their size)
- 2-3 cups chopped rhubarb (about 2-3 stalks)
- 1/3-1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until well combined and starting to get fluffly. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each, then beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir by hand or beat on low speed just until combined; the batter will be thick. Spread into a 9″x13″ pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, and scatter the fruit over top. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the cake is golden and the cakey parts springy to the touch.
- Makes 1 big cake – feeds lots
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: babble.com