Summary: For cold winter nights! Very inexpensive and very easy to make, plus it’s delish!
Cheese Potato and Smoked Sausage Casserole
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb low sodium skinless smoked sausage (Eckrich is my favorite brand)
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch “half moon” cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
- Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30-40 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
Recipe and Photo adapted from: Food.com