Summary: This seemingly simple egg sandwich packs multiple food groups and nutrients into compact, flavorful layers. The English muffin will help raise your dropping blood sugar level, the eggs and bacon offer amino acids to help your liver break down toxins, and tomatoes provide plenty of vitamin C. Gooey cheese, parsley and chives, meanwhile, just make tasty toppers.
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- cup minced fresh chives
- cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 – 1/2 inch thick round slices Canadian bacon
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins
- 4 thin slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, slices into 1/2 inch-thick slices
- salt and pepper to taste
- Crack the eggs and egg whites into a bowl and whisk.
- Add the chives and parsley and stir to incorporate.
- Spray a large nonstick skilled with cooking spray. Ladle the ¼ of the egg mixture into the skillet and cook, omelet style, until the eggs are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Slide the omelet onto a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- In the same skillet, heat the Canadian bacon until warm, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Toast the English muffins. Fold each omelet to fit in an English muffin, then place the omelet on one muffin half. Top with the cheese slice, then the bacon slice, and then a tomato slice. Top with the other muffin half and serve.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: ivillage.com