Recipe: Raspberry Lemon Scones
Summary: They’re tasty, adorable and — not common among homemade breakfast items — portable! Which means if your beloved is late to work and has no time to sit down and enjoy your lovingly prepared breakfast, you can slip one of these scones in their pocket or purse while they’re running out the door. What a pleasant Valentine’s Day surprise that’ll be!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup raspberry jam
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, from 1 large lemon or 2 small ones
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, then add the zest. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work in the chunks of butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. With a spoon or spatula, gradually stir in the cream until the mixture forms a dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into a ½-inch thick circle about 10 inches wide. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pieces of dough, and put them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using your finger or the bowl of a small measuring spoon, make a little well in the center of each heart. (Be careful not to poke all the way through!) Spoon a heaping ½ teaspoon of jam into each well.
- Bake the scones for 18 to 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let the baked scones cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze. Whisk the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a bowl until smooth. Using a pastry bag or a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the scones, then let the glaze set for about 30 minutes. Serve or store in an airtight plastic container for up to 2 days.
Preparation time: 14 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 14
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: TheTribuneNews.com