Recipe: Baked Vanilla French Toast
Summary: This is one of those fabulous recipes that you can prepare the night before and let the bread soak in the milk mixture overnight. In the morning, there is no-fuss at all since the dish involves very little prep and it just bakes to perfection!
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices dry white or whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- Maple syrup
- Sliced strawberry (optional)
- In a shallow bowl, beat together eggs, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides.
- The egg/milk mixture is poured over the bread, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. In the morning, prepare a simple crumb mixture (1/3 cup flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/3 cup butter).
- Then remove the plastic wrap, sprinkle on the crumb mixture, and bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes. Serve with maple syrup and sliced strawberry.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Recipe adapted from and photo courtesy of: BHG