Recipe: 12 Minute Sombrero Supper
Summary: To make a complete meal, accompany the dish with a salad and a green vegetable.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 (1.25-ounce) taco seasoning packet
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- Round tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Crumble ground beef into a hard plastic colander set over a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole. Microwave on high 3 minutes. Stir to break up beef and scatter bell pepper over the top. Microwave on high 3 minutes.
- Discard fat that has drained into casserole dish, and transfer meat mixture into same casserole. Stir in taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Cover and microwave on high 3 minutes. Stir and add kidney beans. Re-cover and microwave on high 3 minutes. Test meat mixture with a food thermometer to make sure it reaches 160°F. Let mixture rest 2 minutes before serving.
- Two ways to serve: (1) Transfer meat mixture to the center of a large platter; or (2) divide the meat mixture among 4 individual plates. Surround the meat mixture with tortilla chips to resemble a hat brim. Scatter cheese over the meat mixture to resemble a straw hat, and serve hot.
Preparation time: 6 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: USDA