Recipe: Amazing One Pot Tabbouleh Bread
Summary: Please let me ooh and ahh over it for a second. It’s crisp, crunchy, and flaky, like a bread baked in a steam oven on a stone. I do think it’s magic, because, how do you get such an amazing crust from a batter bread.. mixed, proofed, and baked in a non-stick pot?
- 2 1/4 cups tepid water
- 3-4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package Active Dry Yeast – .25 oz
- 4 cups AP Flour
- 1/3 cup bulgur wheat (fine to medium grain)
- 1/3 cup boiling or very hot water
- I very large handful parsley leaves
- 1 small to medium handful mint leaves
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 lemon, zested..then juiced for olive oil dip
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh black pepper
- grape or teardrop tomatoes
- 3 or 4 chives (optional for ‘stems, if making design)
- Boil water, then add bulgur wheat. Let soak abut 20-25 minutes, until the wheat has absorbed all or most of the water.
- Coarsley chop the parsley leaves with the mint leaves. I chopped mine too fine..you can barely see them in the bread. This is for aesthetic purposes only, so it’s really ok if you chop them finely.
- Pour the tepid water into the pot. Add the kosher salt, yeast, and flour.
- When you start to mix the bread batter, stir in the bulgur wheat (if any water remains, strain it out), lemon zest, parsley, mint, and thinly sliced green onions. Mix thoroughly. Cover and let rise for 60 to 90 minutes, at room temperature.
- After room temperature rising, lift off cover and stir down the risen dough. Cover again, tightly, and place in the refrigerator overnight 10-14 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Remove risen bread dough in pot from refrigerator. Top with grape tomatoes (keep whole if very small, slice in half if not that small), parsley leaves (no thick stems), mint leaves, and strips of scallion or chives (for stems if you want to make a pretty design).
- Bake for 35-40 minutes (40 was perfect for me).
- Combine the cup of olive oil, lemon juice and black pepper, then add some lemon slices to it. Dip slices of the bread in the lemon olive oil, if desired. Serve with sliced cucumbers and more tomatoes or make that awesome sandwich above – or eat it/serve it any way you want – it’s amazing without any of the above.