Recipe: Asian Spice Pork Belly
Summary: GARLIC AND SOY-BALSAMIC BRAISED PORK BELLY
- 1 lb pork belly
- 1 chopped onion
- 2-3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- Water (enough to cover the pork belly)
- 2 star anise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Vegetable oil
- In a pot add the oil and saute the onions until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for about a minute.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the water. You may need to cut the pork belly into 2 or 3 pieces to fit into your pot.
- Add enough water to just about cover the pork belly.
- Raise the heat and bring to a boil. Put the lid on and lower heat to low.
- Let it simmer for about 2 hours until pork belly is tender. That’s it, nothing more to it.
- Take the pork belly out and serve. You can reduce the liquid down if you like, basically turning it into a glaze, though the pork belly should be moist and flavorful enough.