- 20 strips bacon (about 12 ounces)
- 20 medium-large shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground pepper
- Soak 5 to 8 bamboo skewers in water for about 20 minutes to keep them from burning on the grill or under the broiler.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until halfway done, about 4 minutes.
- Drain and cool on paper towels.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the middle of each shrimp; skewer with bamboo through the point where the bacon ends meet to keep it from unraveling.
- Thread 3 to 5 shrimp on each bamboo skewer.
- Puree the barbecue sauce, oil, lemon juice, mustard, chipotles, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper in a blender.
- Set aside half of the sauce for dipping.
- Preheat a grill, grill pan or broiler.
- Grill or broil shrimp (on a foil-lined baking sheet, if broiling) for 5 minutes, basting with the sauce once they begin to turn pink.
- Flip, baste again and grill or broil until just cooked through, about 4 more minutes.
- Serve with extra sauce.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 24 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6