Summary: This is quite an aromatic crock pot beef stew, thanks to the thyme, mustard, wine and of course the herbs in the dumplings.
- 2 lbs top round steak or lean stew beef, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots in ½ inch slices
- 2 onions, sliced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup beef broth or dry red wine
- 8 sliced mushrooms
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- For the Herb Dumplings:
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups Bisquick
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Combine the beef, celery, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine or beef broth.
- If you are using wine, use all the salt.
- If you are using beef broth you might not need it depending on the saltiness of the broth so taste it to see.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.
- The vegetables and beef will become tender.
- Combine the flour and water and stir this slowly into the beef stew.
- Combine the Bisquick, thyme, sage and rosemary and stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened.
- Drop spoonfuls of the dough on to the hot beef stew, then cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the herb dumplings comes out clean.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Photo and recipe adapted from Best Crockpot Recipes