- 1cup lukewarm water
- 3 teaspoons instant active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Place the yeast in a small jar with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of sugar and let it activate (about 10 minutes).
- Mix the evaporated milk, butter, egg, rest of the sugar, and salt in a bowl till its smooth. Mix in the yeast.
- Place the flour in a large bowl and make a hole in the center. Add the yeast mixture to this flour, mix and knead until it’s a wet dough.
- Now place the dough on a floured surface and knead well, until the dough is similar to a bread dough (smooth and airy). Mould the dough to a round surface, oil the outside well and place it in an oiled bowl.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest and rise overnight.
- Remove the dough place it on a floured surface and roll it out to about ½ inch thickness.
- Cut it into squares. Heat oil in a fryer to 360 degrees and fry the beignets to golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Then generously sprinkle powdered sugar and serve hot with a cup of chicory coffee. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Indiacurrents.com