Recipe: Berry and Banana Terrine
Summary: This berry and banana terrine is an easy and beautiful way to serve summer berries with bananas for added sweetness. Think Jello but packed with fruit. And instead of neon artificial colored Jello, you use unflavored gelatin with white grape juice – a healthier, prettier, and tastier alternative.
- 2 envelopes (1/4 ounce each) unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups white grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups of mixed fresh berries and slices of banana (berries can include boysenberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup grape juice; let soften 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat sugar with another 1/4 cup grape juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in softened gelatin until dissolved, then stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups grape juice.
- Place berries in a 4-by-8-inch (6 cup capacity) loaf pan; pour gelatin mixture over, pressing berries gently to submerge completely (remove a few berries if necessary.) Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours.
- To unmold, dip bottom of pan in hot water about 5 seconds. Invert onto a serving platter, and shake firmly to relase. Slice to serve. Serve with whipped cream.
Preparation time: 3 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Simplyrecipes.com