Recipe: Boston Baked Beans
Summary: The traditional style…a bit heavier on the molasses than the brown sugar.
- 1 lb navy beans
- 1/2 lb thick sliced bacon (or see Spicy Candied Bacon)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- Heat oven to 300°
- Rinse and sort beans in a colander, then place in a large dutch oven and cover with water by at least three inches.
- Bring beans to a full boil, remove from heat , cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Return beans to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- In a large skillet, saute’ the bacon and onion until onions are just translucent.
- Drain beans and RESERVE 2 CUPS COOKING LIQUID
- Add remaining ingredients to reserved liquid, then layer beans bacon and onions in dutch oven and pour liquid over. Add more liquid if necessary to insure beans are covered.
- Bake for 5 to 7 hours, checking occasionally for liquid and stirring.
- If using the crock-pot method, cook on high heat for about 3 hours and then on low heat for another 4 hours.
- You may need to add water occasionally to keep the beans moist.
- That’s it. If you’re like me after about 4 hours of cooking, the aroma of the beans really tempts me to sample the project.
- No problem! Kinda like the development of a good design. You gotta test along the way!!!