Recipe: Bourbon Street Chicken
Summary: A flavorful chicken dish named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana It’s wonderfully sweet & spicy without being too hot. For kids that don’t like hotstuffs, cut down on the pepper flakes!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts; cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil; (1-2)
- 1 garlic clove; crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch; (if thick sauce desired)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.
- Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered. Serve over hot rice.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: MarineWifeMommyLife.com