Summary: Feeling extra romantic cut heart shape for your bread bowl.
- 2 T Olive Oil (Extra Virgin)
- 4 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 leek
- 4 red potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 can clam broth (or ‘juice’)
- 2 cans chopped clams (with juice) or fresh or frozen
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 quart half-and-half or fat free heavy cream
- 2 t salt
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- fresh-cracked black pepper
- Sour Dough Bread Bowl or make your own
- Chop all the veggies.
- Leeks usually have a lot of dirt all up in them, so you have to peel back the layers and rinse them off individually. Most of the green is tougher than the white, so I usually discard those. Flatten out the layers and chop them up.
- Saute the carrots in the olive oil until slightly softened. Add in the rest of the veggies, the clams and the clam broth. Simmer until potatoes have softened.
- In separate saucepan, melt butter, then whisk in flour to make a roux.
- Slowly whisk in the half-and-half until mixed thoroughly.
- Add this mixture to the veggies, heat on low without simmering or bubbling, as you want to keep the half-and-half from curdling. Add spices.
- Now get creative and cut your best heart out of the bread bowls.
- Ladle the soup into the bowls and serve.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: ohsodelicioso.com