Recipe: Bubbas Shrimp Gumbo
Summary: This is a terrific gumbo recipe, if you close your eyes, you’ll swear Mama is makin’it for y’all. Feel free to substitute crawdads fer de shrimp. File is optional and is always added off of the heat. Add rice to the center of a large soup bowl, add gumbo. Deeelicious!!!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), plus 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra
- 3 cups shrimp stock
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 cup chopped canned tomatoes with juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked andouille sausage, sliced diagonally
- 2 pounds shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- file powder
- Cooked white rice
- In a large heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt 1 cup of the butter. Add the flour, and cook on low heat until the roux is dark brown; about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring constantly. *Cook’s Note: Brown does not mean burnt; if you burn the roux you have to throw it out and start over again.
- Add the onions, celery, peppers and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Mix in the okra and the remaining ingredients, including the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, and simmer over medium-low heat until thick, about 1 hour. Before serving, remove the bay leaves. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve over white rice, if desired.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: PaulaDeen.com