Summary: You may have noticed that we have been sharing a lot of cauliflower recipes, the other white meat/potato, lately. Some of these recipes have been very good but in no way related to what they are supposed to mock. These Buffalo Fried Cauliflower bits are actually a pretty good knock off of boneless chicken wings. And here is a recipe that gives you a batch of hot, and a batch of mild ‘wings’.
Recipe: Buffalo Fried Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce + 2 tablespoons of hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flour, garlic salt, and cayenne powder. Whisk until mostly smooth (a few lumps is not a problem).
- Put the cauliflower in the bowl and gently stir with a spatula to completely coat with the buttermilk mixture.
- Place the cauliflower on a greased cookie sheet. Separate any large clumpings. Baking for 20 minutes, gently turning mid-way through the cooking.
- While baking combine the 1/2 cup hot sauce and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter in a medium size bowl. In a separate medium sized bowl combine the BBQ sauce, two tablespoons of hot sauce, and 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
- Carefully remove the cauliflower from the oven and distribute evenly between the two bowls. Stir VERY gently to coat.
- Return the cauliflower to the cookie sheet and bake another 5 minutes.
- Serve with celery and ranch or blue cheese dressing.