Recipe: Butternut Squash Veggie Chips
Summary: Oven-baked squash chips, easy veggie chips much better for you!
- 2 butternut squashes with long necks
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cut the necks of the squashes off of the bases. Peel each neck and slice it into thin slices, about 1/8th of an inch thick.
- Drop the slices into the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes (skipping this step will not allow the squash to crisp up when baked). After 2 minutes, carefully drain the pot and rinse the squash under running,cold water until the slices are cool to the touch. Pat the slices with a towel to remove any excess water.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper, and top them with the slices. Be careful that the slices do not touch or overlap. Brush lightly with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle on a little kosher salt, and top with finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the chips until crispy, this should take around 15-20 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them and remove from the oven when the chips start to turn brown and crispy. (The timing for your oven may vary. We had to remove them in intervals, since our oven bakes a bit unevenly.)
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Note: You can also microwave the chips; each batch takes about 10 minutes on high power (Just be sure not to use a metal pan or baking sheet!).
Note: This recipe uses only the necks of the squash, so save the bases to make a soup or salad!
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: Nesselrodes365