Recipe: Cajun Chicken Fritters with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Summary: These aren’t your Mama’s chicken nuggets!!
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid crab boil (I use Zaterain’s), optional
- 4 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons creole mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish (grainy mustard)
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Stir in slightly beaten egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, hot pepper sauce, Creole seasoning, and liquid crab boil, if using. Add grated onion, green and red bell peppers, red pepper flakes, and chicken. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold into batter. In Dutch oven, place canola oil to depth of 2 inches and heat over medium high heat to 375 degree F. Drop batter by rounded spoonfuls or medium scoop into hot oil, about 5 or 6 at a time. Fry about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain fritters on paper towels and arrange on serving platter. Serve with Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce. Makes 35-40 fritters.
Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons Creole mustard and 1 1/2 tablespoons horseradish.