- 2 pounds lean ground beef, preferably ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ pound bacon, chopped and cooked crisp, crumbled (optional)
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill grates
- 4 fresh-baked hamburger buns
- 1 large sweet onion, preferably Vidalia, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves, sliced tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard, as desired
- Place ground beef in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently to combine. Divide ground beef into four 8-ounce portions and divide again, making eight approximately 1″-thick patties. Evenly top four of the patties with the grated cheddar cheese and cooked bacon, if using. Top with another 1″ patty. Crimp edges together firmly to completely seal the patty.
- Prepare a moderate charcoal fire, preheat a gas grill to medium, or heat a large grill pan over medium heat. Brush grill grates or grill pan with a thin coating of oil using a silicone pastry brush. Grill the prepared hamburger patties approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side for a medium-rare hamburger. Place the buns face down on the hot grill until lightly browned.
- To serve, place the burger on the bottom of each bun and top each burger with sliced onion. Top with other condiments as desired. Cover with toasted bun tops and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: Surlatable.com