Recipe: Cheddar and Green Onion Biscuits
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cold unsalted butter, cubed small
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 375’F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut the cold butter and cream cheese into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse mill with small beads of butter remaining.
- Add grated sharp cheddar and chopped green onions and with a fork and mix everything well.
- Still stirring with a fork, pour the milk. Mix lightly until dough comes together (do not over mix as biscuits will get tough, over mixing or over handling this type of dough will only develop the gluten in the flour).
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, place biscuit dough 2-inch apart on the baking sheets. Flatten top of the scooped dough and brush top with egg wash.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until biscuits turn light brown.
Recipe and Photo credit: Jeannie Maristela is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.