Recipe: Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 6 pieces
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, halved
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup homemade or purchased marinara sauce
- 2/3 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces to skillet and saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour fat from skillet. Add remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil to skillet.
- Add mushrooms, bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano and saute until onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Mix in marinara sauce, chicken broth, Marsala and capers.
- Return chicken pieces to skillet, spooning sauce over.
- Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover skillet and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to large platter. Boil sauce until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes; spoon off fat. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper; spoon over chicken.