Summary: Bored with your usual repertoire of chicken dinners? Try this Chicken, Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya, spicy and delish!!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced roma tomatos
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced OR 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock, 1 – 1/2 boxes
- 3 cups long-grain rice, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 dashes hot sauce, optional, if you like it hot
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Heat the oil in a large heavy duty pot, or dutch oven.
- Add the sliced andouille sausage and saute for 5-7 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the sausage and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the chicken (in batches) to the same pot and brown on all sides.
- Transfer the browned chicken to the resting plate, along with the sausage. Repeat until all the chicken is browned, but not fully cooked. You don’t have to worry about cooking all the way, you’ll continue to cook it later on.
- Once all the chicken is browned and removed from the pot, add the butter, onion and garlic. Sauté for about 5-8 until the onion is translucent. Add celery and peppers to the same pot and saute for 5-8 minutes longer.
- Add the tomato, jalapeno or cayenne (if using), oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and tomato paste and cook until all the vegetables and herbs are incorporated.
- Add the stock and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the rice, and add the sausage, chicken, salt, pepper and hot sauce (if using). Return to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the scallions, 1/2 of the parsley, the lemon juice and the shrimp, and stir well. Cover the pot, remove it from the heat and allow the residual heat to cook the shrimp.
- Walk away and leave it along for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the remaining scallions and parsley.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TexasRecipes.tumblr.com