Summary: A not so typical rendition – there’s no liver, but you could add to make it the real deal dirty rice!
- ½ cup basmati rice [3/4 cup chicken stock -or- water]
- ¼ cup wild rice [1 cup water or more]
- ¾ pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ large green bell pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup homemade chicken stock
- ½-1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed chilies
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Andouille chicken sausages [bake in oven until cooked, cool & sliced]
- 8 jumbo shrimp [such as Tiger shrimp]
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- On separate baking trays toss butternut squash with oil and seasoning; cauliflower with oil and seasoning. Roast in oven until tender.
- Meanwhile cook the rice in the amount of water specified. Drain wild rice if needed after it is cooked.
- In a roomy pan sauté sausage in olive oil until browned. Remove from pan.
- In the same pan, sauté onions, celery and bell peppers until tender, adding more olive oil if necessary.
- Add garlic, cook for a minute then add remaining spices and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, stock and thyme. Simmer on low until mixture has thickened, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cover and cook through.
- Fold in cooked rice, sausage, squash and cauliflower adjusting seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: