Recipe: Chili’s Black Bean Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup boiling Water
- 1 1/2 quarts (3 pounds) canned black beans, not drained
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic, granulated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces smoked sausage, small dice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a medium stock pot, place the olive oil, onion, carrot, and bell pepper. Sauté the vegetables until they are tender. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil, add the bouillon cubes, and allow to dissolve.
- Add the cooked beans, and the remaining ingredients (except cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water) to sautéed vegetables. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes.
- In a blender, puree 1 quart of the soup, and put back into the pot.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoon water. Add the cornstarch mix to the soup and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Serve with cornbread, white rice or your favorite side dish.