Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled corn tortilla chips
- Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth.
- Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
- Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
- Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo.
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: TripAdvisor