Recipe: Chinese Beef Stew
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup dried black mushrooms
- 8 oz beef brisket, trimmed and cubed
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1/2 teaspoon Sichuan pepper
- 2 star anise
- 1 whole clove
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 cinnamon stick (5cm long)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Soak dried mushrooms in boiling water for about 30 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms, chop and set aside.
- Strain soaking liquid. Discard solids and reserve 1 cup soaking liquid.
- Sauté beef on all sides or until browned. Add onion, ginger, and garlic. Fry couple of minutes. Stir in reserved soaking liquid, 2 cups broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, sake, Sichuan pepper, star anise, clove, dried chilies and cinnamon stick.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Stir in mushrooms.
- Cover and simmer 40 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef mixture with a slotted spoon. Discard star anise, cloves, dried chilies, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring remaining liquid to a boil, cook until reduced to 1 cup.
- Serve sprinkled with green onions and sesame oil over rice with sauce.