Recipe: Chipotle Caramel Corn
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil. Add one kernel of corn; once it has popped, add the rest of the kernels. Cover the pot and shake it occasionally until popping has subsided. Pour popped corn onto a lined sheet tray, and remove the pot from heat to cool.
- Once cooled, wash the pot, and return it to the stove. Add sugar and enough water, about 1/4 cup, to achieve the consistency of wet sand. Heat over high heat until a candy thermometer reads 320°F, swirling pot once caramelizing begins to ensure color is evenly distributed. Add salt, chipotle powder and black pepper, then add butter. Caramel will now bubble up slightly.
- Pour caramel over popcorn, and allow to cool slightly. Using a fork, break into smaller pieces, and allow to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container. You can make the popcorn up to 1 week ahead of time.
Yields: 8 cups