Recipe: Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
Summary: These are my all time favorite cookie, if you like chocolate covered cherries you’ll love these cookies!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 48 undrained maraschino cherries (about one 10-ounce jar)
- 1 (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate pieces (not imitation)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a mixing bowl combine flour and cocoa; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until well combined. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of each ball with thumb. Drain maraschino cherries, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center of each cookie. In a small saucepan combine the chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 4 teaspoons of the reserved cherry juice.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the frosting over each cherry on unbaked cookie, spreading to cover cherry. (Frosting may be thinned with additional cherry juice, if necessary.)
- Bake in 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until done. Remove to wire rack; cool. Cover and store at room temperature up to 2 days. Makes 48 cookies.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 48 cookies
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: bhg.com