Recipe: Company Breakfast Casserole
Summary: For a southwest flair, replace the mushrooms with a small can of sliced olives, add Monterey Jack cheese instead of Cheddar and serve with spicy salsa on the side.
- 16-oz. pkg. shredded frozen hashbrowns, thawed and divided
- 1 onion, chopped and divided
- 1 pound ground pork sausage, browned and drained
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4-oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 doz. eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: garlic salt to taste
- Spread half of the hashbrowns in a lightly greased 13″x9″ baking pan. Layer ingredients as follows: half the onion, sausage, remaining onion, green pepper, mushrooms and half the cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour egg mixture over casserole; top with remaining hashbrowns and remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Recipe and Photo courtesy of: GooseberryPatch.com