Similar to cloning the cole slaw at KFC, the secret technique for duplicating Cracker Barrel’s delicious slaw starts with slicing the cabbage into very small pieces. A mandoline works great for this or use whatever slicing contraption you have. Slice the heads of green and red cabbage on the thinnest setting, and then chop those strips into small bits. The carrot can be shredded using a cheese grater. Mix it all up and then let the cole slaw chill out for several hours so the mixture can get its flavor on. An overnight chill is even sweeter.
Cracker Barrel Cole Slaw – Copy Cat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 8 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Whisk together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, buttermilk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and celery seed in a large bowl
- until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cabbage and shredded carrots. Cover and chill for at least four hours. Stir before serving.
Recipe adapted from and Photo courtesy of: TopSecretRecipes