Summary: I grew up eating fried apples and then as an adult I discovered Cracker Barrel and their fried apples. It is as close as I have seen to Cracker Barrel. The recipe says you can freeze the cooked apples. I have never done this as there is never any left.
- 2 cups apple juice, plus 1/2 cup apple juice
- 4 large apples, golden delicious with peel,cut 1/2 inch wedges
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium skillet, combine the 2 cups apple juice and sliced apples.
- Simmer gently until apples are fork tender but not mushy, turning apples frequently.
- Remove apples from juice using a slotted spoon and place in an oven safe dish.
- In a blender, combine the remaining 1/2 cup apple juice, cornstarch, apple pie spice and sugar.
- Blend a few seconds until smooth.
- Whisk mixture into hot apple juice in skillet and cook, stirring constantly on medium high heat until it bubbles and becomes thickened and smooth.
- Pour thickened mixture over apples and serve.
- Please note the cooking time is an approximate.