Recipe: Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
Summary: Our savory cauliflower puree makes a perfect low-carb stand-in for mashed potatoes. It gets its fabulous flavor from garlic, a touch of margarine, and, best of all, it has about one-quarter of the calories of typical mashed potatoes. If you like, vary it by adding chopped fresh herbs.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup soy milk or almond milk
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided Snipped fresh chives, for garnish
- Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes.)
- Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add milk, 2 teaspoons oil, margarine, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of iVillage