Recipe: Creole Dirty Rice
- 2 T bacon drippings
- 2 T flour
- 1 lb. chicken giblets (chopped)
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork*
- 1 C onion (chopped)
- 1/2 C green pepper (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed or minced)
- 2 C chicken stock
- 1 T dried mint (crushed)
- 2 T Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. to 1/2 tsp. pepper flakes (according to taste)
- 6 C cooked rice
- 1/2 C fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 C scallions (diced)
- In a heavy large skillet, add flour to bacon drippings and brown flour till it turns a deep reddish brown. Stir continually to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Next, add all 3 meats, stirring to brown and break up clumps. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic, stirring and cooking till vegetables are soft. Stir in broth and seasonings, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Finally, add rice, parsley, and scallions.
- Cook 5-10 more minutes, uncovered. (It should be moist.) Serve as side dish with chicken or pork, or use as filling for stuffed peppers. You can also serve it as a main dish. * Some recipes call for sausage instead of ground pork, or in addition to, ground pork.
Recipe adapted and photo from: creoles.us